We’re searching for our next ARTISTIC DIRECTOR! We’re looking for someone who is passionate about our mission as a social issues theater and who has experience as a director and in managing a theater or performing arts venue.
Apply by July 7 by emailing letter and resume to email@example.com
The Artistic Director (AD) is responsible for developing and implementing the artistic vision and focus of The Weekend Theater. The AD works with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to ensure that The Weekend Theater is guided by its mission and credo and realizes its goals for artistic excellence, community service, education, financial stability, fundraising and audience engagement. The AD is a non-voting member of the Board of Directors. The AD reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the Executive Director. This is a volunteer position with variable hours, including nights and weekends. It comes with a small stipend.
Education and/or Experience:
The successful candidate must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. While a four-year degree is not required, a bachelor’s degree within theater, drama, arts administration or a related field of study is preferred. Candidates must also possess extensive experience as an artist and in managing a theater or performing arts venue.
Areas of Responsibility and Duties:
- Recruits, oversees and mentors artistic and technical personnel, including directors, performers, designers, stage managers.
- Recruits, oversees and mentors key technical personnel, including production manager and technical director.
- Designs, implements and evaluates workshops and classes in theater disciplines, with a particular focus on educational programs.
- With Executive Committee, develops production budgets and marketing strategies to present to the Board of Directors for final approval.
- Acts as a spokesperson for The Weekend Theater’s artistic purpose via speaking engagements, public and social appearances, and, as requested, at fundraising events and solicitations.
- Fosters the development of good relations with other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate.
- Reports to the Board of Directors on a regular basis to give an update on artistic activity at monthly meeting.
- Responsible for the maintenance of written procedures manual for directors and production staff.
- Directs at least one production per season.
- Works with the Play Selection Committee to choose each season of plays and presents to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Works with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to coordinate donor development and fundraising activities to ensure The Weekend Theater’s financial stability and promote sustainability.
- Oversees auditions and related activities.
- Keeps current with the play literature.
- Oversight for assessing needs of each production with respect to requirements for theater purchases and changes to the physical space.
- Oversees the scheduling of the calendar year: season productions, auditions, workshops, special events.