The Weekend Theater, a social justice Arkansas-based theater, is seeking one acts (10-40 minutes) for the inaugural TWT Playwright’s Week. The mission of The Weekend Theater’s Playwrights’ Week is to reach out to the community and promote The Weekend Theater’s mission through socially relevant original theater. In doing this, we hope to give playwrights from Pulaski County, the Mississippi Alluvial Plain, and the West Gulf Coast Plain (Arkansas Regional Map) safe spaces to produce their work. From October 28 – November 3, 2018, playwrights will work with a director and cast affiliated with The Weekend Theater to produce a staged reading of four chosen plays. There is a reading fee of $15.00 for each play submitted. The reading period begins May 11 and ends July 11, 2018 . Selections will be announced by September 1, 2018.
Here is the criteria for submissions:
- The playwright must reside in or be a former resident of Pulaski County, the Mississippi Alluvial Plain, or West Gulf Coast Plain regions of Arkansas (Arkansas Regional Map).
- The script has not had a full production in Arkansas.
- The script addresses a social justice issue.
- The script can be of comical, dramatic, tragic, mysterious, or absurd nature.
- The script will have a cast size of 2-4 members.
- The script should be between 10-40 minutes (10-40 pages); that’s about one minute per page.
- The playwright must be present for the process.
- The playwright must be open to feedback.
- No musicals please.
- No collaborations of more than two people.
- Playwrights must be 18 or older to submit.
- To submit, please email scripts to email@example.com no later than July 11, 2018 at 11:59pm.
- Please submit two PDF copies of your script: one should have all identifying information (name, phone number, address, and email). The other should be blind with no mention of the writer’s name.
- In the subject line of the email please write the word “Submission” and the title of your play. (example: Submission: Two Trains Running).
- Please go to PayPal and pay the fifteen dollar submission fee for each play submitted to Twtexecdir@gmail.com. Please indicate “play submission” in the notes. Additional PayPal fees may apply.
- Submission that do not meet all requirements will not be read.
Writers of all races and genders are strongly encouraged to apply. To find out more about The Weekend Theater and our mission please visit our website at http://weekendtheater.org. Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.